Antiquities of Samarkand. Madrasah of Nadir Divan-Begi. Inscriptions Around the Inner Main Niche in Front of the Door from Outside
This photograph of the Nadir Divan-Begi Madrasah in Samarkand (Uzbekistan) is from the archeological part of Turkestan Album. The six-volume photographic survey was produced in 1871-72 under the patronage of General Konstantin P. von Kaufman, the first governor-general (1867-82) of Turkestan, as the Russian Empire’s Central Asian territories were called. The album devotes special attention to Samarkand’s Islamic architectural heritage. Located next to the Khodzha Akhrar shrine, this madrasah (religious school) was completed in 1631 by Nadir Divan-Begi, vizier and uncle of the Bukharan ruler Imam-Quli Khan. The madrasah was planned as a rectangular courtyard enclosed by a one-story cloister for scholars. This view shows the right upper part of the niche formed by the main iwan (vaulted hall, walled on three sides, with one end open) arch facing the street. Although damaged, the surface of the flank (bottom) displays ceramic tiles in a geometric design that includes sacred texts in block Kufic script. At the point where the flank curves toward the arch vault, there is a horizontal inscription in cursive letters. The upper surface of the arch vault reverts to the geometric pattern. The ceramic ornamentation of the back wall (far left) combines geometric and botanical forms. The basic colors of the tiles are dark and light blue. The outer surface of the iwan facade is visible on the far right.
- acku Afghanistan
- Image Size
- 1800x2466 / 166.5KB
- Contained in galleries