Antiquities of Samarkand. Madrasah of Tillia Kari. Main Facade (Southern). End. Inscription along the inside of the Main Niche and Its Upper Part
This photograph of the main entrance to the Tillia Kari Madrasah in Samarkand (Uzbekistan) is from the archeological part of Turkestan Album. The six-volume photographic survey was produced in 1871-72 under the patronage of General Konstantin P. von Kaufman, the first governor-general (1867-82) of Turkestan, as the Russian Empire’s Central Asian territories were called. The album devotes special attention to Samarkand’s Islamic architecture, such as 14th- and 15th-century monuments from the reign of Timur (Tamerlane) and his successors. In the center of Samarkand is the Registan ensemble, composed of three major examples of a madrasah (religious school). The third Registan component, the Tillia Kari Madrasah, was built in 1646-60, on the site of a former caravanserai. The entrance to the rectangular courtyard is framed by a great iwan (vaulted hall, walled on three sides, with one end open), flanked by a two-story arcade with rooms for scholars. This view shows a ceramic panel on the upper part of the left face of the iwan niche. The main part of the panel is recessed within the figure of a pointed arch. The complex surface is covered with polychrome majolica tiles that form intricate geometric and botanical patterns. Above the pointed arch are fragments of an inscription band in a cursive style. The panel is framed by a raised decorative strip with geometric figures that culminates in a larger cursive inscription band.
- acku Afghanistan
- Image Size
- 2581x1800 / 617.7KB
- Contained in galleries