Antiquities of Samarkand. Madrasah of Ulugh Beg. Inner Courtyard (Northern Side). Section of a Column (Pillar) beside the Main Niche
This photograph of a detail on the north side of the inner courtyard at the Ulugh Beg Madrasah in Samarkand (Uzbekistan) is from the archeological part of Turkestan Album. The six-volume photographic survey was produced in 1871-72 under the patronage of General Konstantin P. von Kaufman, the first governor-general (1867-82) of Turkestan, as the Russian Empire’s Central Asian territories were called. The album devotes special attention to Samarkand’s Islamic architecture, such as 14th- and 15th-century monuments from the reign of Timur (Tamerlane) and his successors. In the center of Samarkand is the Registan ensemble, composed of three major examples of a madrasah (religious school). The oldest madrasah on Registan Square is named after the astronomer-king and grandson of Timur, Ulugh Beg (1393?-1449), who built it in 1417-20. During Ulugh Beg’s reign, some 100 students attended the madrasah, which was considered a leading center of Islamic education. This view shows a ceramic column framing the iwan (vaulted hall, walled on three sides, with one end open) arch on the north wall of the madrasah courtyard. Despite damage to the surface, the intricate polychrome work is preserved and includes both geometric and botanical patterns. The intersecting strapwork on the column contains floral motifs, while the dimly visible wall on the left seems to include inscriptions.
- acku Afghanistan
- Image Size
- 1800x2432 / 196.5KB
- Contained in galleries