Entrance into the Emir's Palace in Old Bukhara
Between 1785 and 1920, eight emirs of the Manghit dynasty ruled Buhkara (in present-day Uzbekistan). After the Russian occupation of Samarkand (1868), the Emirate of Bukhara became a Russian protectorate. Seen in this bright winter view is the main entrance to the citadel, or Ark, the oldest archeological site in Bukhara (present-day Uzbekistan), with layers going back at least to the sixth century. The Ark in its present form originated in the 16th century under the Sheibanid dynasty, which reconstructed the platform on the ruins of earlier citadels. In the 18th and 19th centuries the palace was rebuilt. The towers flanking the entrance were erected in the 18th century. Honeycomb windows adorn the upper tier, and the loggia contains a large clock between two carved wooden columns. The image is by Russian photographer Sergei Mikhailovich Prokudin-Gorskii (1863–1944), who used a special color photography process to create a visual record of the Russian Empire in the early 20th century. Some of Prokudin-Gorskii’s photographs date from about 1905, but the bulk of his work is from between 1909 and 1915, when, with the support of Tsar Nicholas II and the Ministry of Transportation, he undertook extended trips through many different parts of the empire. Prokudin-Gorskii was interested in recently acquired territories of the Russian Empire such as Turkestan, which he visited on a number of occasions, including trips in 1907 and 1911 to the ancient city of Bukhara.
- acku Afghanistan
- Image Size
- 1800x1713 / 486.3KB
- Contained in galleries