Antiquities of Samarkand. Inner Courtyard of the Shir Dar Madrasah. Inscriptions around the Inner Niche and Its Upper Sections. Center
This photograph of the interior courtyard of the Shir Dar Madrasah in Samarkand (Uzbekistan) is from the archeological part of Turkestan Album. The six-volume photographic survey was produced in 1871-72 under the patronage of General Konstantin P. von Kaufman, the first governor-general (1867-82) of Turkestan, as the Russian Empire’s Central Asian territories were called. The album devotes special attention to Samarkand’s Islamic architecture, such as 14th- and 15th-century monuments from the reign of Timur (Tamerlane) and his successors. In the center of Samarkand is the Registan ensemble, composed of three major examples of a madrasah (religious school). The second madrasah in the ensemble, the Shir Dar, was built in 1619-36, during the Astrakhanid dynasty. Despite significant damage over the centuries, it remains one of the most lavishly ornamented monuments in Central Asia. The form of this madrasah consists of a rectangular courtyard enclosed by a two-story arcade. Visible here is the upper part of the niche of the iwan (vaulted hall, walled on three sides, with one end open) in the center of the south wall. The surfaces are covered with polychrome majolica tiles in elaborate geometric and botanical patterns. The rectangular panels with pointed arches lead to a horizontal inscription band in the Thuluth cursive style. Above the inscription are pointed arch panels divided by a system of intersecting ribbed vaults.
- acku Afghanistan
- Image Size
- 2494x1800 / 693.9KB
- Contained in galleries