Site of Tepe Shotor. Nangarhar Province.
During the 1st to the 7th century CE the Jalalabad Valley was considered the remains of over 1000 sites covering an area of 15 square kilometers. Not surprisingly, the valley has long attracted archaeologists, from DAFA (1928; 1926-28) and Japan (1965), but all missed the mound of Tape Shotor (Camel's Mound) at Hadda, 9 Kilometers southeast of Jalalabad city, until the Afghan Institute of Archaeology began excavations here in 1965 led by Chaibai Mustamndi (1965-74) and Zamaryalai Tarzi (1974-79). Here they uncovered some of Afghanistan's most exciting ancient art.
Photo: Nancy Dupree
- acku Afghanistan
- Image Size
- 6337x4148 / 5.5MB
- Contained in galleries
- NATIONAL MUSEUM II: CE (Common Era)